Silver Clay Classes
Levels: Introduction and Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced
Our silver clay classes are designed to teach a wide range of skills whilst preparing students to diploma examination levels should they wish to follow this path. Otherwise just come along and learn how to make beautiful pieces for yourself, for presents or for selling.
Introduction and Beginners
This class is for absolute beginners.
- You will learn:
- The nature and properties of silver and other metal clays, how to condition the clay and how to keep it moist and ready to use.Introduction to all tools and their uses.
- The various stages to create a piece of jewellery:
- Clay stage, use of texture mats, drying processes, refining techniques, firing and polishing.
In this class we will be making two or three easy pieces using these processes.
Beginners – Level 1
The follow up beginner classes will cover the same techniques but in more detail and we will be creating more complex pieces, use of a syringe for embellishments, setting stones, designing and creating a bail suitable for your piece.
We will have a beginner class exclusively to learn about rings. In this class we will be making two rings using different methods.
Intermediate Classes – Level 2
At this level we will have various classes where we learn and practise more elaborate techniques.
Classes will feature one or more new skills relating to your chosen pieces.
- Construction of specific shapes and decoration of rings
- Stone setting using fine silver strips and other materials
- How to prepare and polish your pieces to a “high polished mirror finish”
- Keum-boo, a Korean technique (using 24k gold leaf)
- Carving designs in dry clay using various tools and techniques
- Creating seamless beads in various shapes
- Setting more complex findings on pre-dried and dried clay
- Riveting two pieces of different metal clays
- Use of paper clay or the new Aussie Origami Flex clay
- Use of syringe to create design
These are some of the skills you will be learning.
Design and construction of items which require a more advanced application of previously acquired skills.
From January I will be introducing these classes.
In February 2019 we will have our first guest designer Tracey Spurgin. Tracey is a very talented International artists and she will be teaching a beautiful Tooth Fairy Box. This is a two day class is suitable for someone at intermediate level or with good experience with silver metal clays.
Other guest designers will be invited to the Studio to for a two day Class and each designer’s will showcasing their specific areas of expertise.
Dates will be announced early in 2019.
All classes are tailor made for each student’s ability and requirements. Classes, in many cases, can be designed around a particular piece or a student’s own design. Please discuss your requirements before booking your course.
Please email: [email protected] or telephone: 07784 893209
Prices will vary according to the level of difficulty and the amount of metal clay used. You can use the studio tools or if you prefer you can bring your own. The cost will be confirmed for each specific class.